Have you been thinking about starting a business, but aren’t sure whether or not you should make a move? Do you fear not becoming a success and having to face the naysayers?
I completely understand. I’ve been there, several times as a matter of fact so I know exactly how it feels to go back and forth as you weigh the pros and the cons of your decision. Allow me to share my story and explain how Steve Harvey’s advice inspired me to Jump and start the blog, Focus. Implement. Triumph!
My husband, Melvin loves Steve Harvey. I mean really loves him. Like call him ‘Uncle Steve’ type love. If you’re in his barbershop at 3 PM, then you are watching the Steve Harvey Show. It’s on all three televisions so even if you’re like me and don’t watch the show, if you’re sitting in his shop you don’t have a choice…. You’re watching Steve for one hour. Period. On one particular day, I happened to stop at the barbershop for a quick visit and like clockwork, at 3:00 all of the TV’s were turned to the Steve Harvey Show. I was talking and not paying much attention until two women began to tell the story about how they made the jump to start an event planning business. To be honest, I didn’t pay much attention to their story. Even though it didn’t interest me at the time, for some strange reason the very fact that they made this jump resonated with me. Over the next few months, I couldn’t get the word ‘Jump’ out of my head. Each time the thought would enter my mind, I’d excuse it by saying that I didn’t have time to start a business working full time with a one year old. For months I battled with this simple thought… JUMP!
“You can achieve whatever you want, but don’t expect to get it if you are not ready to Jump” ~Steve Harvey
To my surprise, when I finally gave in and decided to make the jump to start my own business, it was Steve Harvey’s words that were the nudge I needed to believe in myself and my ability to make my dreams come true. It was also the insight that he shared within those pages that reminded me to have faith and keep going, even when I’m going through hell. Let me be honest, just like life isn’t easy, starting a business isn’t either. It’s hard work and it’s time consuming. If you’re like me and still working full time, it requires you to give up sleep. Lots of it actually, but it’s oh so worth it! For everything that you give up, you receive a blessing that is worth so much more. If you have dreams that have gone unfulfilled, then it’s time for you to change your situation and JUMP!
If you want to ditch the 9-5, then make the decision to start a business and for the next 30 minutes, focus on your goal and implement the 5 action steps below. Set your timer and get ready to change your life! Your business will launch in 5… 4… 3… 2…1…
Implement these 3 Simple Steps to Start Your Own Business in Less than 30 Minutes
***This page contains affiliate links. Please read our disclosure for additional info.
Download a step-by-step tutorial that breaks down each step and incorporates screenshots to show you exactly what to do
- Register Your Domain Name on SiteGround
Take it from me… All WordPress hosting companies are not created equal. I prefer SiteGround because of their excellent customer service and every review that I’ve read puts them above their competitors in efficiency and functionality. Normally they charge $9.95/month, but they’ve agreed to allow me to run an exclusive promotion that discounts the rate so that you only pay $3.95/month and receive a FREE domain name and email address. You can’t beat that price.
Implement these Action Steps to Register Your Domain Name:
- Go to the Siteground website and click ‘Sign Up’
- Select a plan. The features provided in the StartUp plan for $3.95/month provides everything you need and more
- Register your new domain name
- Enter all of the required information to secure your domain name and hosting services.
2. Install WordPress
WordPress is the service that you will use to establish your blog. Siteground makes it extremely easy to install WordPress.
Implement these Action Steps to Install WordPress and Establish Your Blog:
- To begin, login into your Siteground account by clicking ‘Login’ at the top right hand corner
- Click on ‘My Accounts’
- Click on ‘Go to cPanel’
- In the autoinstaller section, click on ‘Wordpress’
- Click Install on WordPress
To complete the configuration of your WordPress blog installation you must select specific settings. Here are my recommendations…
- Choose protocol: In this you can select www with your domain or nonwww. I prefer using non-www, as it keeps the length of my URL shorter
- Choose domain: Select the domain name from the drop-down on which you want to install WordPress.
- In Directory: Leave this field blank
- Database name & Table Prefix: Leave it as it. There’s no need to make any changes.
- Sitename & Description: Add your sitename and description. This can always be modified after your WordPress blog is installed.
Congratulations! You now have an official blog.
3. Set up a Business Email Account (another FREE benefit offered by Siteground)
Depending on the name that you chose for your company it is quite possible that you can open a gmail or yahoo account, but why do so when Siteground offers you FREE email using your domain name. Using an email address with your company domain name makes you look like the professional that you are and it will be better received by your future customers.
Implement these Action Steps to Set Up Your Business Email Account
- Go to the cPanel and click on the Email Account Icon under the mail section
- Enter a new email account you wish to establish and fill out the necessary details (name, password, quota (up to 2000 MB) and click ‘Create Account’
- Your newly established email account will appear. Click ‘More’ and then click ‘Access Webmail)
- Select your Default Webmail Application. They appear in order from most functionality/features to least. If you want a lot of features, choose horde. If you prefer to have a standard email account without many extra features, choose SquirrelMail and if you want something in between, select roundcube. After you click ‘Set as Default,’ your new email address will popup and you’ll be officially in business.
Congratulations!!!!! How does it feel to be an official business owner? I’m so happy and excited about your future and promise to provide support, encouragement and motivation every step of the way. Please share with me and the other members of Black Bloggers Network your business information so that we can be the first members of your new community. To ensure that you build a successful, profitable business, I recommend the following next steps.
Implement these Next Steps to take Your Business to a New Level
- Customize Your Website
- Check the email address that you used to establish your Siteground account. In it you will find a message entitled ‘Wordpress Installation Confirmation.’ This message includes all of the information that you need to login to your WordPress dashboard and begin customizing your website.
When developing the website for Black Bloggers Network, I purchased the Architect Theme from My Theme Shop for less than $50 and used Stencil to create the Black Bloggers Network logo and site icon myself.
Download the FREE Tutorial that shows you how to create your own logo & site icon
2. Download these resources to jumpstart your success
The best advice that I can give you is to build a community, collect email addresses and continue to develop useful, high quality content and resources that keeps them coming back for more. GetResponse provides everything that you need and more to make this happen. I was able to create the free email course, Affiliate Programs for All, using drop and drag newsletter templates that were very attractive and simple to create. All of the goodness that is GetResponse doesn’t stop there. The best part about GetResponse is that when you’re ready to move beyond emails and into the webinar stratosphere, you will be able to host webinars with up to 100 attendees using their service. Email marketing and webinars all in one monthly payment not only saves you money, but is definitely a win-win for any blogger!
If you’re like me and not a professional photographer, there’s a hack that allows you to still create stunning images. Believe it or not, ALL of the images that appear on this website were created using Stencil. There are many companies out there that allow you to create images for free, but you typically have to pay $1 each for premium images. At Stencil, there is a free option, but there’s also an option for you to pay a flat monthly rate, which allows you to select any image that you choose. Stencil has a bank of 940,000+ stock photos that you are able to use with any of their plans, including the FREE plan. Personally, I utilize the Unlimited Plan ($18/month) to create posts not only for Instagram, but for Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter. I create hundreds of images per month and I’m able to use any picture that I want for one low monthly payment.
Learn the step-by-step process for creating amazing images for social media with this FREE Download
I’d love to hear about your business. Leave a comment and let me know how I can help you with your new business.